Springtime agility equipment check list
It’s that time of year! Time to dig out all the agility equipment that you stored for the winter and set it up again. Yeah! Not! We’d rather get right to the training, wouldn’t we? Anyway, it’s VERY important that you check your equipment for safety and maintenance issues. Now is a great time. Here are a few things to look for…
- Inspect everything for sharp edges. Take a rag and slowly rub all edges of your equipment. If the rag snags, sand the area. Be especially concerned about sharp edges on jump cups.
- Fill cracks in your wood items. While some cracks are normal and happen to wood over time, it is best to take care of any that are positioned to collect water and cause splitting. Fill with exterior caulk, let dry, and paint with an exterior paint. Its also best to give another coat of paint to prolong the life of your wood items.
- Check for protruding nails on any wood surfaces, including the slats for your a-frame and dog-walk.
- Tighten all hardware and check chain links, making sure where the chain attaches to obstacles is secure also.
- Treat rust with rust-proofing paint.
- Wash your tunnel and chutes with soap and water if needed, and dry thoroughly. Inspect for any mildew.
- Add more colored tape to your tire jump and jumps if they have worn out. Visit our vinyl tape page at Affordable Agility if you need more.