This 4th of July weekend, keep a good weather eye on your dog. More pets run away on this day of the year than any other, because of loud noises and lots of in and out of the house! Here are a few tricks to help you keep your partner safe.
- Let them stay inside, far away from the action. I know you’d rather they were with you, so you could have fun together, but it is safer inside. Even older dogs can develop sudden fears!
- Take a few photos of them, in case the unthinkable should happen – a current photo will help you find them.
- Keep them on-leash, period.
- Consider leaving them home from the picnic in the park. Chances are, unless it’s a dog picnic, you won’t be able to give them your undivided attention, and you need to do that on the 4th of July. There will be other dogs, fireworks, lots and lots of people, and food everywhere!
- If you’re going boating, have your dog wear a life vest as well. Dogs are not natural swimmers – especially certain breeds, such as pugs, corgis, and shelties.
Can you think of any other tips to share? Please do so in the comments below, or on our facebook. We want our furry friends to stay as safe as possible!